Anti-Semitism and Language

I have an itch that I need to scratch, something that has been bothering me for a while and the last piece from David was a gentle reminder that the issue is still there. I want to talk about anti-semitism.

Let’s start with the phrase itself because, apart from being unusual, it’s also incorrect. In modern language use ‘Semitic’ is the description of a language group and not a race. Yes, Hebrew is one of the Semitic languages but so is Arabic, Ethiopian and Assyrian, and not all members of the Jewish faith speak Hebrew. The term has its origins in the writings of Moritz Steinschneider when in 1860 he used the phrase antisemitische Vorurteile  (“antisemitic prejudices”) when reviewing the work of Ernest Renan. The compound word antisemite became popular in Germany in 1879 as a more scientific-sounding term for Judenhass (“Jew-hatred”), after that the rest of the world appeared to take up the phrase and use it only when describing anti-Jewish activity, even though it is of questionable correctness.

The next thing to consider is that anti-semitism in various forms has been with us for about two thousand years. In 3 BC, Alexandria was home to the largest Jewish community in the world and Manetho, an Egyptian priest and scholar, ridiculed their lives and practices. Also, Agatharchides of Cnidus makes a mocking reference to how Ptolemy Lagus was able to invade Jerusalem in 320 BC because its inhabitants were observing the Shabbat. In the late 6th century, the kingdom in Hispania issued a series of anti-Jewish edicts which forbade Jews from marrying Christians, practicing circumcision, and observing Jewish holy days. Such incidents continued throughout history and even William Shakespeare introduced the character of Shylock who is forced to convert to Christianity at the end of Merchant of Venice. So, as you can see, antagonism towards the Jews and Jewish life is not a new phenomenon and if mankind hasn’t found a cure in the last two thousand years we are unlikely to do so in the new millennium.

The modern problem with anti-semitism is the use of language and the way that it has been twisted for political purposes. The OED defines anti-semitism as ‘Hostility to or prejudice against Jews’. That’s it: one single sentence. If therefore a politician stands up and criticises the state of Israel they are not being anti-semitic, they are engaging in political discourse. The problem arises when people try and link the state, the people, and the religion together for their own purposes. Here’s a good example:

Peter:  Sorry, I don’t recognise your accent, where are you from?

Client: I’m Jewish

If I were to ask anyone else I would get answers such as ‘I’m Spanish’ or ‘I’m from South Africa’ but as the state, the religion and the people are so closely tied together in Israel the ‘I’m Jewish’ answer just slips off the tongue and it’s accepted. No other country that I know of does this. If I was to ask an Italian where he is from, a reply of ‘I’m Roman Catholic’ would seem very strange. This would get even sillier if you asked me. I’ve lived and worked all over the world which means that I have a strange accent. How would it seem if you asked me where I’m from and I replied ‘I’m an Atheist’?

So, in summary. If you criticise a member of the Jewish faith for their Jewish practices and lifestyle then that’s anti-semitism and it’s against the law. If you call your Jewish barber a “blind fool” because he gave you a bad haircut then it’s not anti-semitism. You just chose the wrong barber that day. If you criticise the state of Israel and their activities then that is not anti-semitism either. It’s political life. Finally, if you criticise the Israeli people, that is also not anti-semitism because not all of the Israeli population are Jewish, there are lots of Muslims and Christians living in the country as well.

Sorted.

PK

Comments

Popular Posts